Sunday, September 11, 2016

Recent News on African Elephants

In recent news, New York Time's authors Niraj Chokshi and Jeffery Gettleman, released an article briefly explaining the new population status of African elephants. In their article, "African Elephant Population Dropped 30 Percent in 7 Years," they talk about the consequences that poaching has taken on the African elephant populations and how if poaching were to stop this day it would still take decades for the population to regain itself. This piece strongly took the side of the conservationists, researchers and the wildlife services whom are all working to restore the elephant populations. I found that while reading this article, I was pretty heartbroken on how bad the situation actually is. However, I do believe that the article could have talked more about what exactly is being done to stop poaching.  

3 comments:

  1. Clearly what is happening to the African elephants is terrible.

    I agree that this article is largely focusing on the views of the conservationists, researchers, etc. and yet I feel odd that the article itself didn't talk too much about efforts to conserve the elephants (ironic because it's their point of view the article is addressing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's terrible to think that even with the ban on ivory elephant populations are still declining, but it definitely is something that the author should have mentioned. While conservation itself can be quite upsetting there are still many positive changes being done. I agree that the author should have mentioned conservation efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article and review - thank you for this. Poaching takes place for a reason, so while the UNEP and philanthropic support of the study are essential, so are policy changes (e.g. complete ivory ban) and providing economic alternatives for poachers. I wonder if the original UNEP report addresses these issues too?

    ReplyDelete